Their are still fish that swim in the waters of the Cistern, I think they are carp, some are actually quite big perhaps 8 inches wide and 18 inches long. As we walked through the Cistern water would drip from the darkness of the ceiling, while the shadows of the fish moved silently through the water below. And although I looked closely, I could not see any remains of the human remains left in the Cistern.
Another reason we thought it was cool to be in the Cistern was that the James Bond movie From Russia With Love has a scene that was filmed in the Cistern! Here a a few picture we took although they do not do it justice.
When they built the Cistern, they scavenged parts from other buildings that were no longer in use. Here are some picture of what we saw, including some of the more decorative parts they used (I think the Medusa heads are really cool!).






1 comment:
That is so cool!
Post a Comment